BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Just scared? No... Terrified!

Sharks



Ever since I was a little child and I would sit with my siblings and watch the fifty different Jaws movies, I have been very scared of sharks.  I was fascinated by them, but it was a fear that drove my obsession. I would watch all the discovery channel movies I could find just to learn more about them. Even on my mission, when I was done with my emailing and I was waiting for my companion, I would pick up picture books about sharks and flip through to pass time.  My experience that has solidified my terror came when I went to the ocean for the first time in 2006. I was visiting my girl friend at the time and I was trying to learn how to boogie board. I was almost successful on one of my attempts, but as I was paddling to catch the wave, I glanced back and saw DORSAL FINS! My memory brought be back to my days of watching documentaries and learning that the top reason for shark attacks is them mistaking a human for its prey. The natural prey for a shark is a seal and from under water, a 
person on a boogie board looks very similar to a seal! I got back to shore as soon as possible and quickly found out that everyone on shore was enjoying watching the dolphins play in the waves... 


Snakes



When I was younger, I was all about snakes. I would find them and catch them down in the gully close to my house, then I would release them in our bushes. My mom didn't like that very much, so I had to re-catch them and bring them back to where I found them. I don't really know what happened since I was younger and would catch them, but now I have a pretty legitimate fear of snakes. I just don't ever want to be bit by one. 

Fire Hydrant



This is another one that I really don't know where it came from. On my mission it got better, but I have a pretty genuine fear of walking in front of a fire hydrant and having the pressure so high that the front of it blows off into the side of my knee and destroys me! I have no idea where that fear came from, but it is there and I don't really like walking in front of them. There was actually one point in time where I would not walk in front of them, but I would walk around them every time I saw one. 


3 comments:

Unknown said...

Dan, you are on your way to becoming a very good little blogger. Besides the fact that I don't really like your URL (does your love of sports have to invade everything?), this was a most excellent post. It made me laugh while I was eating my bagel. Too bad you missed that.
Sharks = Very good. I like sharks and you shouldn't be afraid. I have even touched one.
Snakes = Our conversation last night sparked this one, huh?
Fire Hydrants = You are a lot less manly now that I know this. We would always open them up in the summer time as kids and play in them until the Fire Department came and yelled at us. You are missing out on the fun.

Makenzie said...

I really laughed out loud when I read about your fear of fire hydrants!

Makenzie said...

Also, you are welcome for introducing you to the Japanese Marshmallow Game. It's very funny and I knew you would appreciate.