BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Thursday, August 12, 2010

Big Band Bass

Whenever my family gets together we all bring our instruments to play and sing songs. When I was younger I played the drums, but that didn't last very long because of the conflict with band and football when I was in high school. After the drums I didn't pick up another instrument, so when we have the family band I would sit off to the side and enjoy my parents and siblings talent. Last summer I decided that I was done sitting on the bench just watching and I wanted to get an instrument that would add to the whole experience with out being the same one that was played by someone else. My brothers play the guitar and my dad plays the ukulele, mandolin, and violin. The bag pipes were on my mind momentarily, but that seemed like it didn't fit very well. So I decided on a bass guitar! I purchased a cheap acoustic electric bass online and played that for a while. But it wasn't very loud and the tone wasn't the greatest. So this summer I was in a pawn shop with my boss when I came across a bass that I really did not want to pass up. So I went home and researched it and found that the pawn shop was selling it at an inflated price. So I picked the price that I would pay and I was able to talk them down. Now I'm the proud owner of a Schecter Diamond Series C-4 bass!


Now that I have been enjoying my new bass, I have had a hard time picking the type of music I would like to play. I started playing some country songs, but that didn't sound right. I went to some bluegrass and that actually sounded really good, but I don't know the specific bluegrass songs that my dad knows, so I wanted to try something different. I went to some harder rock stuff and I really liked the sound of the bass lines that are in Three Days Grace songs, but they are a little more intense than what I wanted. Recently (as of yesterday) I have decided that I would really like to try out bass for big band type music! I have always loved swing dancing and yesterday I was enjoying listening to some Frank Sinatra on pandora radio and I was loving the bass that was being used in the background. So I'll have to search the world wide web to find some songs to play. It will be wonderful.

0 comments: